Week Commencing 24th January 2021

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Week Commencing 24th January 2021

Diana
This week we are looking at 1 Corinthians 1. Is there a difference between open debate and an argument? Have there been times when you have become angry because someone didn’t agree or you felt they should have known better?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Week Commencing 24th January 2021

Geoff Reynolds
1 Corinthians 1. Is there a difference between open debate and an argument? Have there been times when you have become angry because someone didn’t agree or you felt they should have known better?

Very definitely, open debate is a good and proper thing. We can all interpret things differently when we come across them and debate/discussion can enhance or change our view by sharing with others.
Obstinate refusal/inability to hear another's view can easily turn into an argument which is never a way to reach a better understanding or a consensus result.

Prayerful / careful sharing of thoughts can help both / all parties come to a reasoned God guided consensus decision.

! Peter 4 v's 7-11 give us a good guide. I've just read it in The New English Version (A SS gift I was given in 1962 on moving to the senior SS department of Gants Hill Methodist Church) the language there gives a good view I think.
      "(The end of all things is upon us,) so you must lead an ordered and sober life, given to prayer. Above all, keep your love for one another at full strength, because love cancels innumerable sins. Be hospitable to one another without complaining. Whatever gift each of you may have received, use it in service to one another, like good stewards dispensing the grace of God in it's varied forms. Are you a speaker? Speak as if you uttered oracles of God. Do you give service? Give it as in the strength which God supplies. In all things so act that the glory may be God's through Jesus Christ; to Him belong glory and power for ever & ever. Amen."